Lawyers aren’t that hard to come by, but the best divorce lawyers in Sydney are harder to find, which is why you shouldn’t feel obligated to pick the first one you speak with. Choosing a lawyer is one of the most crucial decisions you’ll make during your divorce, so it’s important you find the best divorce lawyer in Sydney for you.
Here’s a few tips to keep in mind.
Check their qualifications
Check their credentials and make sure he or she has enough experience to handle your case even if they’ve been referred to you as one of the best divorce lawyers in Sydney.
A large number of lawyers claim to specialise in family law or divorce, and many of these claim to be the best divorce lawyers in Sydney but it’s not always true.
Family law is a speciality area of the law that requires time and experience to learn.
A less experienced family lawyer may be acceptable if you have a straightforward case with no children and no financial difficulties. But on the other hand, if you’re involved in a contentious divorce involving considerable assets, intricate financial concerns, or a contentious child custody dispute, you’ll want to hire the best divorce lawyers in Sydney as they will be a specialist with experience handling cases like yours.
Here are a few questions you should ask to help you decide if this lawyer is suited for your case.
- Do you focus on divorces or are divorces only a small portion of your job?
- How long have you been working in family law?
- How many family law cases have you dealt with in your career?
- Do you consider yourself to be one of the best divorce lawyers in Sydney?
- What are you going to do to help me win my case?
- How long will it take for my case to be resolved?
- How long does it take for you to reply telephone calls?
- How can I get in touch with you in the event of an emergency?
- What would you classify as a “emergency”?
- How many people will be working on my case at the same time?
- What kind of background do they possess?
- What fees do you charge?
- Does my time spent with other lawyers, paralegals and/or secretaries count towards my bill?
- Does my spouse have a say in our divorce settlement?
- What can I do to keep the divorce costs down?
- Is there anything I can do to save money on the services you provide?
- If you knew the facts of my case, how do you think the judge would rule in my case?
- In order to better comprehend the tax consequences of my decisions, what can you do?
- How will you charge me for the charges (other than your own) (such as private investigators, forensic accountants, doctors, and/or psychologists)?
- How much do you think this divorce will cost?
The cost of your divorce is highly dependent on the level of contention in your case, so don’t be shocked if most divorce attorneys avoid answering this issue. However, how an attorney responds to this question might give you a sense of how they think and act. If you ask the best divorce lawyers in Sydney, they’ll likely say it’s difficult to give an estimate up front. If a lawyer offers you a fee that is too cheap, it may be an attempt to gain your business.
Asking some of these questions can help a lot in your search for the best divorce lawyers in Sydney.